Welcome to West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department!
Volunteer Recognition Dinner December 10, 2015:
West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department held our Volunteer Recognition Dinner at 6 P.M. on Thursday, 12/10/2015, at the Whites Creek Baptist Church Fellowship Hall.
Volunters brought dishes to share. Santa made a special appearance for the children.
The Firefighter of the Year award went to Matt Covington.
Chili/Soup Supper September 25, 2015:
CHILI SUPPER UPDATE: The WRCVFD Treasurer writes:
I'd like to thank everybody from the Cooks to the Garbage Collectors for this wonderful and successful fundraising event. We had 106 adults and one child attendee who FORKED/ SPOONED over $1060.00. The drawing raised $217.00, and an impressive $2130.00 was given in donations. Therefore, we made a grand total of $3407.00.
Volunteer Tabatha Burke writes:
West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department received an Assistance to Firefighters Grant #AFG201400258. With this grant the fire department will be able to buy a new fire truck. West Roane County Volunteer Fire Department is required to match 5% of the cost of the truck though. The match portion needed is $10,166. The members of WRCVFD are fundraising specifically for the matching portion of this grant. Community support is important to the success of this department.
A Chili and Soup Fundraiser will be held on Friday, September 25th from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm at Grande Vista Bay Clubhouse located at 1405 New Hope Road in Rockwood. A donation of $10 is requested. The meal will include Chili or Soup with dessert and drink. We will have door prizes as well.
If you have questions please call 354-5140 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the word. Download chili supper press release: in MS Word .doc format - Get Word Viewer.
Download 8.5x11 poster: in PDF format (1MB) - Get Adobe Reader;
in .JPG format.
New Ways to Donate
There are new ways to donate to WRCVFD.
Kroger shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive funds from Kroger's Community Rewards® program. Sign in or create an account at https://www.kroger.com/communityrewards. Then designate West Roane County Volunteer Fire as your charity at https://www.kroger.com/account/communityrewards/enroll. After that, you shop as usual at Kroger's, swiping your card. For more detailed sign-up directions, see: Donations.
Amazon shoppers may set West Roane County Volunteer Fire as their designated charity to receive 0.5% of their purchases of physical goods at smile.amazon.com. Note that only purchases made from smile.amazon.com will work. Amazon will donate the funds to WRCVFD in your name.
Change Your Smoke and CO Alarm Batteries When You Change Your Clocks
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to replace the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms when they change their clocks for Daylight Saving Time. Fresh batteries allow smoke and CO alarms to do their jobs saving lives by alerting families of a fire or a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in their homes.
CPSC estimates there was a yearly average of 386,300 residential fires resulting in nearly 2,400 deaths between 2006 and 2008.
Two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes where there are no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. That is why it is important to replace batteries at least once every year and to test your alarms every month to make sure they work. CPSC recommends consumers have smoke alarms on every level of their home, outside bedrooms and inside each bedroom.
CPSC estimates there was an annual average of 183 unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths associated with consumer products between 2006 and 2008. CO is called the "invisible killer," because it is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. Because of this, people may not know they are being poisoned. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel in various products, including furnaces, portable generators, fireplaces, cars and charcoal grills.
That is why it is important to have working CO alarms in the home, on each level and outside each sleeping area.
Every year in the United States, about 3,000 people die in home fires. Most of these deaths occurred in homes that didnít have a working smoke alarm.
The United States Fire Administrationís Install. Inspect. Protect. Campaign is aimed at encouraging Americans to practice fire safety by 1) installing and maintaining smoke alarms and residential fire sprinklers, which can help save the lives of residents and fire fighters, 2) practicing fire escape plans, and 3) performing a home safety walk-through to remove fire hazards from the home. Install. Inspect. Protect. also recognizes firefighters and stresses the fact that the children of firefighters want their fathers and mothers to come home safely.
When both smoke alarms and fire sprinklers are present in a home, the risk of dying in a fire is reduced by 82 percent, when compared to a residence without either. According to the National Fire Protection Association, between 2003-2006 almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
The USFA offers a few helpful tips on smoke alarms and sprinklers:
- Place properly installed and maintained smoke alarms both inside and outside of sleeping areas and on every level of your home.
- Get smoke alarms that can sound fast. The U.S. Fire Administration recommends that every home and place where people sleep be equipped with both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms or dual sensor smoke alarms, which contain both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and change alkaline batteries at least once every year, or as instructed. You can use a date you already know, like your birthday or when you change your clocks as a reminder.
- If possible, install residential fire sprinklers in your home.
- Avoid painting or covering the fire sprinkler, because that will affect the sensitivity to heat.